Deadly but beautiful.
Isn’t nature just amazing?
A few years ago I took an amazing trip up to Alnwick Castle & Gardens in Northumberland. It was a fantastic day out. Alnwick itself is truly beautiful and if anyone does decide to visit, I wholeheartedly recommend Barter Books shop, a converted railway station which is a treasure trove of wonderful books.
Anyway, I stray off-topic. One of the best areas of the Gardens is the aptly named “Poison Garden”. Behind locked Iron Gates are a menagerie of the worlds most deadly plants. Visitors are only allowed to enter the garden with a Poison Garden Warden. Although that is not a bad thing, they give the most wonderful tour filled with various anecdotes and stories about various plants.
One of the most thought-provoking things about the tour is how much wisdom we may have lost. The tour guide pointed out that almost every child knows that if stung by a nettle you can soothe it with a dock leaf. Yet many other pieces of plant knowledge like this, which families once knew has gone with the reliance on doctors, pharmacists and these days, the internet. Whilst I adore the allotment and the discovery of how rewarding it is to grow your own food, self-medicating is not on the list, but it’s certainly an interesting thought, are there more natural less processed remedies on our doorsteps, which our ancestors would have understood far better than we do?
As ever, another fabulous collection! Thank you all so much. Here is this week’s entries below:
- #WritePhoto – Ivy and the Oak – About the Jez of It
- Incident at Pixie Falls – Masons Mind Menagerie
- My Safe Spot – A Unique Title For Me
- When Choosing Isn’t Really An Option #writephoto | TanGental
- Red: Don’t touch | pensitivity101
- Writephoto poisonous plants! – Therapy Bits
- K.L. Caley’s #WRITEPHOTO – POISONOUS PLANTS | willowdot21
- #writephoto poisonous plants: the poisoner’s prentice – Lorraine’s frilly freudian slip
- Poisonous Plants – The Inkwell
- #Writephoto – Poisonous Plants – nope, not pam
I hope you’ll join me for another #writephoto challenge published today at 12 o’clock GMT.
Thank you all again for taking part in #WRITEPHOTO – POISONOUS PLANTS