The Island that is frequented by evil spirits…
This photo was taken from Bamburgh looking out at the beautiful Inner Farne Lighthouse. Despite being taken on a mobile on a rather dull day in December, I thought it beautiful how prominent the White Lighthouse was.
It was described by Bede – an English Benedictine monk who wrote scientific, historical and theological works – not only as “utterly lacking in water, corn, and trees” and “ill-suited for human habitation”, but also “frequented by evil spirits”. (Ecclesiastical History, IV. 28)
These supernatural creatures are described also in other sources as a pack of pigmy, goat-riding devils, with their hideous faces said to be the inspiration for the sanctuary knocker of Durham Cathedral.
The legend is found in Bede’s “Life of Saint Cuthbert”, where he reports that no one could live there in peace until the saint drove them away from the island.
Intriguing that a few of you went for darker stories for this dazzling lighthouse, perhaps your muse was linked to the great Bede! In all seriousness, a brilliant collection of entries and I think you all from the bottom of my heart for supporting the #writephoto prompt. I have tried to reblog a few entries since the post went out so hopefully, you will have seen some of them trickling through, but here is the full list below (if I have missed anyone, please let me know).
- from-a-distance/ pensitivity101
- #Writephoto: Out to Sea – Stine Writing
- writephoto-out-to-sea/ christinebialczak
- #WritePhoto — Distance Calls! – I Believe, BECAUSE –
- #WRITEPHOTO – Distance – Ladyleemanila
- The Lighthouse Event – Gypsie’s Writings, Musings, Quotes & Poetry
- K.L..CALEY’S #WRITEPHOTO Distance. willowdot21
- Far away – Keep it alive
- After Being Laid Off :: N2W 220407 – Gary A Wilson Stories
- In the Distance | POETRY…IF NOTHING ELSE
- Ghosts – nope, not pam
- Safe Keeping #writephoto | TanGental
I hope you’ll join me for another #writephoto challenge published today at 12 o’clock GMT.
Thank you all again for taking part in #writephoto – Distance