The letter fell through the letterbox and with a heavy thud landed on the carpet.
“Oh, post has arrived”, announced Mary’s mother but no one moved from the breakfast table.
“Do you want me to go get it, Mama?” Mary asked and began to push back her seat.
“No, no. We’ll finish eating as a family first. It’s nice to have the time together.”
Mary looked around the table, her father was reading the paper, her brother was playing with his toy, even the dog was laid in its basket, with just one ear raised in case any tasty morsels should be dropped on the floor. The only person who had any interest in being there was her mother who was spreading jam on her toast.
Mary tried not to stare but each bite seemed to take longer than the last. The crunch, crunch of her mothers chewing felt like nails on the blackboard. Eventually, her mother cleared her plate, not a soul had said a word during the entire meal.
“I suppose we best be getting on with our day.” Her mother announced and Mary sprang from her seat and rushed to the door. There on the mat was the treasure she had waited on, the beautiful and unusual stamp beckoning her.
She slid the envelope open with a smile. It had been worth the wait.
For visually challenged writers, the image shows a colourful collection of used stamps from various envelopes and postages.
I’ve had so many wonderful responses and enjoyed each and every one. I have tried to reblog a few since the post went out so hopefully, you will have seen some of them trickling through, but here is the list below. If I have missed anyone, please let me know. I seem to have some kind of war with my spam box going on at the moment, just this morning I had 56 comments in there to wade through, so I would hate to miss anyone out. Well done to all the entries, it makes for a fantastic collection.
- Letters to a Crime – Masons Mind Menagerie
- Stamps #writephoto | Trent’s World (the Blog)
- thursday-write-photo-25th-november/ pensitivity101
- #writephoto — It’s Not the Stamps – This, That, and The Other
- Working for Royal Mail – Writer Ravenclaw
- #WRITEPHOTO – STAMPS | willowdot21
- Stamps (#writephoto) – theunfocusedlifeblog
- I left the camp… #Rhyme – Literature World
- #WRITEPHOTO – STAMPS – Ladyleemanila
- A little lick and it’s good to go – Keep it alive
- The Stamp Collectors | #writephoto Flash Fiction – Jemima Pett
- Challenge 11/29/2021 | Marla’s World
- #Writephoto – Stamps – nope, not pam
- stamping-her-authority-writephoto – geofflepard
I hope you’ll join me for another #writephoto challenge published today at 12 o’clock GMT.
Thank you all again for taking part in #writephoto – STAMPS
With special thanks to Sue who originally made the #writephoto challenge so meaningful for all of us and gave me her blessing to continue it.