Their creepy and their kooky
Mysterious and spooky
Their all together ooky
The #writephoto family
Definitely plagiarising there but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? And wow, wow, wow – what a wonderful collection of kooky, spooky and ooky responses our little tomb created.
This is actually the table tomb of Sir Rafe Bowes of Streatlam, which sits prominently at Egglestone Abbey. In the prompt, I alluded to the fact this site had its own intriguing little ghost story.
According to legend, in the 1300s Brother Martin lived at the Abbey. One moonlit evening during a stroll along the riverside he met a young girl by the riverside, the two became lovers, meeting every night at their secret location by the river. Racked by guilt Martin confessed all, locking himself in his cell and praying for forgiveness. One stormy evening he ventured from his cell and found her once again by the river. She was overcome with joy but Martin was pale, breathless and sweating, he grabbed her and accused her of being evil, sent from the devil to tempt him. She began to scream for help and his hands found her throat and strangled her. Sobbing Matthew threw her lifeless body into the water.
He returned to the abbey, delirious with fever. The monks nursed him back to health but he never spoke. Upon the next stormy night Brother Martin took himself down to the merciless waters and threw himself in.
Locals have reported over the years sightings of a ghostly monk seen around the ruins or the river. What do you believe?
A brilliant collection of entries. I have tried to reblog a few since the post went out so hopefully, you will have seen some of them trickling through, but here is the list below (if I have missed anyone, please let me know). What is your favourite?
- #Writephoto – Witterings of Sir Jeff – About the Jez of It
- writephoto-tomb/ pensitivity101
- WritePhoto # Tomb – Keep it alive
- When in Rome – A Unique Title For Me
- Writephoto: Tomb – Therapy Bits
- K.L. Caley’s #writephoto Tomb. | willowdot21
- The Trials Of Pammy Sideparting #writephoto | TanGental
- #Writephoto: Tomb – Stine Writing
- I remember a superstition – Musing in the sun
- #writephoto — The Tomb – This, That, and The Other
- Tinkling the Ivories – inkdropk
- The Haunted Bungalow – Literature World
- The Solitary Tomb | #writephoto Flash Fiction – Jemima Pett
- #Writephoto – Tomb – nope, not pam
I hope you’ll join me for another #writephoto challenge published today at 12 o’clock GMT.
Thank you all again for taking part in #writephoto – TOMB
With special thanks to Sue who originally made the #writephoto challenge so meaningful for all of us and gave me her blessing to continue it.