Onwards and upwards,
She climbed and she climbed,
No sense of the danger,
No sense of the time.
The darkness grew stronger
Outside the brick walls
But the stairs spiralled on
Growing ever more tall.
Above she heard cackling
It echoed all around
Then stopped quite suddenly
Not a singular sound.
She reached an oak door,
And slowly peered in
“I’ve been expecting you, dear”
Said the voice from within.
She turned and she fled,
Down the stairs evermore,
But she never could reach,
That hallowed ground floor.
This intriguing little building is actually a folly in one of our local parks, Hardwick Park. It is grade II* listed, designed in the form of a ruined castle and incorporates medieval masonry from Guisborough Priory.
In the 18th century, John Burdon set about transforming the Hardwick Estate into his own pleasure grounds. To help him achieve his vision he employed James Paine, a leading architect of the time. Their grand plan was to create a garden that, although heavily engineered, was meant to look completely natural. It was a huge step away from the formal gardens of the past. Paine created ornamental buildings, ruins, lakes and woodland which looked like they had always been part of the landscape. It is now owned and managed by Durham County Council.
WOW! What an amazing response to this week’s photo and so many lovely comments too. Thank you all so much. We’ve had it all, action, adventure, horror, humour, poetry and much more.
I have tried to reblog a few since the post went out so hopefully, you will have seen some of them trickling through, but here is the list below (if I have missed anyone, please let me know). It makes for fantastic reading.
- TOWER – Ladyleemanila
- #Writephoto – Prisoner – About the Jez of It
- tower-writephoto – trentsworld
- the-round-tower – masonsmenagerie
- Tower #writephoto | Of Glass & Paper
- Throw Down Your Hair – A Unique Title For Me
- writephoto-tower – pensitivity101
- tower – inkdrops
- The Tower – This, That, and The Other
- The Prince that Ran Away | This is Another Story *NEW PARTICIPANT
- Locked Away In Ivory | sparksfromacombustiblemind *NEW PARTICIPANT
- Hair Loss And Furniture Making #writephoto | TanGental
- Tower – Keep it alive
- Tower – jenanita01
- Tower – indishe
- TOWER ©J.E.Goldie
- george-and-the-maiden-writephoto-anniversary – jemimapett *Charity Fundraiser
- Urban woes and promises – tales told different *New book launched.
- Tower – Our Eyes Open
I hope you’ll join me for another #writephoto challenge published today at 12 o’clock GMT.
Thank you all again for taking part in #writephoto –
With special thanks to Sue who originally made the #writephoto challenge so meaningful for all of us and gave me her blessing to continue it.